Miracle Child Talan - Penn State Hershey Children's Miracle Network

Author: PennStateHershey

The day that Talan was born - Talan was born at 4:30 in the afternoon. We knew about his heart condition. When I was 19 weeks pregnant they determined that he was going to have a heart condition.

We had no idea about his missing skin and scalp on the top of his head. There's no skin and scalp down to the layer before his brain. So we had to cover it as fast as we could. And we did that in a series of operations. And that was the immediate threat to his life.

The one doctor I can just remember saying, he's probably has about a 5% chance to make it through the first surgery. When you know that your child has a 95% chance of not surviving, it's a very, very tough thing to swallow. We walked into the NICU and he was as white as a ghost, and that was a turning point. But you hold onto that 5%.

[ Music ] Talan means a strong fighter. It kind of matches a unique name with a unique story. [Laughter] Here we go. If you see this little guy, you know, you wouldn't think that he had anything wrong with his head at all. He has just been a complete miracle. Can you say hi? Hi. He's a very active, engaging young man. Who let the dogs out? Who? Who? He's a piece of work.

Miracle Child Talan - Penn State Hershey Children's Miracle Network

He's tiring. I love him dearly, but he is tiring. [Child talking] Talan was such a sick little boy, and now he's this firecracker of a little boy. To have been a little part of it is immensely rewarding. Why'd you wipe it off? Hello. Without CMN and without Hershey Medical Center, I'm not even sure we would have Talan today. Every day is a gift.

Miracle Child Talan - Penn State Hershey Children's Miracle Network

The day that Talan was born - Talan was born at 4:30 in the afternoon. We knew about his heart condition. When I was 19 weeks pregnant they determined that he was going to have a heart…

By: PennStateHershey
The real life Pinocchio:Toddler Born With His Brain Growing Into His Nose

A 21-month-old boy whose brain grew inside his nose has been described as the ‘real-life Pinocchio’ by his proud mum. The adorable little lad, Ollie Trezise, was born with a rare condition…

By: World News&EveryThing AbouT Life
Patellar tendinitis

Not to be confused with Runner's knee which often affects runners; or Sinding-Larsen and Johansson syndrome and Osgood-Schlatter disease which primarily affect young athletes. Patellar…

By: Audiopedia
Surgery and Treatment for Craniofacial Conditions (2 of 9)

Children with craniofacial conditions frequently need a series of operations over their lifetime. In some children we have to rebuild the jaws, and we do that with bone grafts taken…

By: The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Meet Caden - Children's Miracle Network - Penn State Hershey

Jessica: Hi, mom. This is your ultrasound day. [ Music ] Jessica: I thought the ultrasound that day was just to find out the sex of my baby. I was so naīve and I didn't think about…

By: PennStateHershey